The Bible – What is this book?
Sermon Notes from the Series “Trusting & Understanding the Bible”.
Pastor John mentioned he would supply a “Fact Sheet” of sorts with information on the Bible for your use and reference.
Week 2 of Series: July 4, 2021 message
Listen/Watch Full Sermon (starting at minute 48:53) HERE: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mnnsYN24gMg
Series: Trust & Understand the Bible
Title: How the Bible helps us understand our self and the world
How the word of God helps us in our day to day life…chapter 5 John White, from “The Fight” . . . The Bible helps us to understand at its very beginning that our enemies populate the world that we live in, Adam and Eve are attacked by a tempter and Fall. We live with the consequences of their Fall, every day of our lives.
If you start with God first you’ll wind up with God, if you start with man first you’ll
end up with man.
James 1:13-15 – 13 When tempted, no one should say, “God is tempting me.” For God cannot be tempted by evil, nor does he tempt anyone; 14 but each person is tempted when they are dragged away by their own evil desire and enticed. 15 Then, after desire has conceived, it gives birth to sin; and sin, when it is full-grown, gives birth to death.
Our inner being resonates to temptation. Temptation is not evil in itself…
1 John 2:15 – Do not love the world or anything in the world. If anyone loves the world, love for the Father is not in them. 16 For everything in the world—the lust of the flesh, the lust of the eyes, and the pride of life—comes not from the Father but from the world.
- Lust of the Flesh, “a desire may be your servant, a lust is your master” “…means to be dominated by your physical appetites…hunger, thirst, sleep, sex, eat, exercise…”
- Lust of the eyes, your life is controlled by the need to have things…
- Pride of Life
- Self-sufficient attitude
- Resist the Devil and He will flee
- Flee Temptation
- Spiritual Community
B. Accuse – Rev. 12:10 the accuser of our brothers and sisters, who accuses them before our God day and night,
- Real & False Accusations
- Real & False Guilt
a. 85 the fight
God knows all you have done, and has forgiven and embraced you…
Rev. 12:11They triumphed over him by the blood of the Lamb
and by the word of their testimony;
- Blood of the Lamb
- Word of their testimony
The devil is a liar… John 8:44 You belong to your father, the devil, and you want to carry out your father’s desires. He was a murderer from the beginning, not holding to the truth, for there is no truth in him. When he lies, he speaks his native language, for he is a liar and the father of lies.
- Character and nature of God
1 Peter 5:8 Be alert and of sober mind. Your enemy the devil prowls around like a roaring lion looking for someone to devour. (eat)
Eat up your life with non-essentials
Satan wants to make you ineffective…
_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _
Information Sheet – [Trust & Understand the Bible Series]
What is this Book? from June 27, 2021 Sunday service
- The Bible is not just 1 book, but many books, 66 to be exact. 27 in the NT and 39 in the OT. Many different authors (about 40) wrote it over a span of 1600 years. It was originally written in Hebrew, Aramaic, and Greek.
- Today, the Bible is translated into many different languages, as of September 2020 it is 3,350 different languages; and many different English translations. NIV, ESV, KJV, NLT in fact more than 450 English translations have been made of the Bible.
- The Bible contains many different types of literature such as Poetry, History, Law, Prophetic, Apocalyptic, Wisdom literature, Gospels, and Epistles.
- The Alliance Doctrinal Statement: #4 The Old and New Testaments , inerrant as originally given , were verbally inspired by God and are a complete revelation of His will for the salvation of man. They constitute the divine and only rule of Christian faith and practice.
1 Peter 3:15 Bear in mind that our Lord’s patience means salvation, just as our dear brother Paul also wrote you with the wisdom that God gave him. 16 He writes the same way in all his letters, speaking in them of these matters. His letters contain some things that are hard to understand, which ignorant and unstable people distort, as they do the other Scriptures, to their own destruction.
1 Tim 2:15 Do your best to present yourself to God as one approved, a worker who does not need to be ashamed and who correctly handles the word of truth.
Matthew 5:17 “Do not think that I have come to abolish the Law or the Prophets; I have not come to abolish them but to fulfill them. 18 For truly I tell you, until heaven and earth disappear, not the smallest letter, not the least stroke of a pen, will by any means disappear from the Law until everything is accomplished.
2 Peter 1:19 We also have the prophetic message as something completely reliable, and you will do well to pay attention to it, as to a light shining in a dark place, until the day dawns and the morning star rises in your hearts. 20 Above all, you must understand that no prophecy of Scripture came about by the prophet’s own interpretation of things. 21 For prophecy never had its origin in the human will, but prophets, though human, spoke from God as they were carried along by the Holy Spirit.