Helpful tips on Fasting (with prayer)
Food and Drink
- Observe a progression in your fasting, especially if fasting is new to you.
- Begin by skipping a meal for one day.
- If you’ve fasted but not in a while, Skip one meal a day for 2-3 days.
- Sundown to sundown fast. Dinner, Breakfast and lunch.
- Ask the Lord to guide you in a deeper fast.
- Degrees of Fasting
- Regular Fast, abstain from all food and drink except for water.
- Partial fast, some particular kind of food
- Liquid fast, abstain from solid foods
- Complete or absolute fast abstain from all food and liquid.
- Technology & other activities
- A total or partial fast from Technology or some other favored activity.
(from Sam Storms’ book “Practicing the Power” Welcoming the gifts of the Holy Spirit in your life, Ch.4)
- Fasting is always motivated by deep desire (If you do not have a deep desire for God, fast and ask Him for a dep desire for Him.)
- Fasting is not something you do for God but an appeal for God in grace and power to do everything for you
- Fasting is not a statement that food or other things are bad, but that God is better
- Fasting should be motivated by the desire to glorify God
- Fasting opens our spiritual ears to discern God’s voice and sensitize our hearts to enjoy God’s presence
- Fasting is a powerful weapon in spiritual warfare
Here are just two websites that give excellent options for guided prayer.
*You should explore these prior to your hour of prayer and print or take notes if you choose to pick one to use. https://www.imaginingtheword.com/howtopractice
C.) Writing, then praying a prayer of Lament https://theglobalchurchproject.com/lament/